Thursday, August 9, 2007

An unforgettable experience

I want to share an experience of one my board members who brought to our attention the plight of an injured firefighter and his family from Miami, Oklahoma. The Fund was able to give a grant to Lt. Billy Bunch’s family to help with the expenses they have incurred since Lt. Bunch was severely injured on November 13, 2006. Lt. Bunch, of Miami, OK FD, fell from the overpass where he was working the fire of a semi-tractor trailer, suffering bilateral femur fractures; heel fractures; scapula, clavicle, and facial fractures; and severe brain injury. The following is my board member’s (Helen Johnson) account of presenting the grant check to the family.

“I delivered the grant check to Janet Bunch this morning (Sunday, August 5), and what a moving experience. Lt. Bunch was brought to the church in his wheelchair from the rehab center. He is so severely injured...it was heartbreaking. He cannot hold his head up; he is a quadriplegic with severe brain damage, has limited response to any stimulation, and I’m told, not aware of his surroundings. However, when I sat beside him and touched his arm and talked to him, he seemed to be aware that I was there.

Janet Bunch is a marvelous woman. She has total faith that her husband will recover. I also got to meet their 13-year old daughter, Megan. Janet was overwhelmed that a group in Texas would help her family.

The Miami, OK FD is beginning to do the necessary renovations to their house to accommodate Lt. Bunch’s wheelchair so Janet can take him home in about six weeks. Janet has been living in Austin to be near Lt. Bunch at the rehab center since February, so I’m sure this grant money will help with those expenses.

I want to say a very special thank you to WPI Firefighters’ Fund and each board member for awarding this grant to the Bunch family. Lt. Bunch is truly an American Hero, willing to make such a sacrifice in his line of duty.”

No comments: